12 February 2013

A Message from the Ash Wednesday Grinch. . .

Please Note:

Ash Wednesday is NOT a holy day of obligation.

If you can't make it to Mass. . .it's no big deal.  

You are NOT required to get ashes smeared on you. 

Yes, it is an excellent way to begin your Lenten penances. . .but it is NOT a holy day of obligation.

Ashes may be smeared by a bishop, priest, deacon, or lay person. You do NOT need Father to smear ashes on you.  

Also, Thursday is NOT Ash Wednesday, so please don't ask to be smeared with ashes on Thursday.

That is all.  Oh, I almost forgot:  "Humbug."
______________

Follow HancAquam or Subscribe ----->

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:03 AM

    I waited for the "sprinkle it liberally with glitter" as I read the post... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...but...but, I feel like I am getting something for nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:00 AM

    Amen, Brother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - do people really come up on Thursday and ask "got any more ashes, Father?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. If I were the pastor I would post a sign in the office window: "No Ashes Distributed Outside Mass." There's really no point in getting the ashes if you don't have the full liturgical context to understand what they mean.

      Delete