05 November 2009

Writing Philosophy-ese is BORING!

I am having some difficulty adjusting my writing style to fit the expectations of philosophical discourse.

For example, this morning I composed the following sentence:  "Truth is neither found naked among the things of the world nor is it made a la Frankenstein's monster in the laboratory of words."

Translated into Philosophy-ese:  "Truth is neither a property of the real nor an artifact of language."

AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!

(Clarification:  I don't mean that philosophy is intellectually boring. . .I just mean that it is no fun to write. . .)

7 comments:

  1. What you stated didn't bore me. I thought it was interesting. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why my majoring in Philosophy lasted HALF a semester.

    If that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hum...maybe I should think twice about the idea of pursuing a dual MA in Philosophy & Theology...?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:59 PM

    But I'd much rather read the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find philosophy-ese very clear. I would prefer it parallel with the symbolic equivalents :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh, the inner poet is bursting out.

    here's my Rx. sit and write a tone of poetry then try to go back to the paper.....course that could just stimulate the muse and backfire horrendously so beware......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete