17 October 2022

The recipe for martyrdom

St. Ignatius of Antioch

Fr. Philip Neri Powell OP
St. Albert the Great, Irving


Ignatius of Antioch, writing to the first century church in Rome, asks his brothers and sisters in Christ not to rescue him from martyrdom: I plead with you: show me no untimely kindness. Let me be food for the wild beasts, for they are my way to God. I am God’s wheat and shall be ground by their teeth so that I may become Christ’s pure bread…Do not stand in the way of my birth to real life; do not wish me stillborn...Let me attain pure light. Only on my arrival there can I be fully a human being.” Now, hearing this, we can embrace his plea as a confession of heroic faith, or we can dismiss it as self-destructive fanaticism. 21st c. Americans are trained to hear deeply held and fervently voiced expressions of faith as delusions, or, at best, romantic drivel. Cynicism and ironic distance can make it all too easy to hear a bit of comedy in Ignatius' plea. I mean, surely, he's joking, right? He wants to be chewed up by lions so he can become Christ's true bread? Seriously? The answer is: yes, yes, he does. Does the fact that someone could believe so deeply, so fervently make us uncomfortable? Well, it should. Because we are called to that same depth and fervor.

Whatever we may think of his literary talents, Ignatius' plea makes perfect sense when read along side the Gospel. As the kids say these days, “He understood the assignment.” Fall to the ground. Lose your life. Serve and follow Christ. Die. Produce good fruit. The recipe for martyrdom. A recipe for bearing witness to the mercy and love we ourselves have received. We know that we cannot give what we do not have. But do we understand that we must give all that we have? Why? Because everything we have and are is given to us. Our lives, our faith, our hope, everything is first given to us by God. And our mission and ministry is to give it all away. To imitate Christ in passing along to others all the gifts God has given us. Most especially the gift of sacrificial love, the gift of Christ himself. The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the Church. It is unlikely that any of us will be eaten by lions in the Coliseum. But we are nonetheless called upon to flourish where we are planted. Ignatius' blood has fallen on Irving, TX; on UD; and St. Albert's Priory. On you and me. We are well-watered. And it is time to bear witness and give back all God has given us. 


Follow HancAquam or Subscribe ----->

No comments:

Post a Comment