22 June 2020

Careful how you measure!

12th Week OT (M)
Fr. Philip Neri Powell, OP
St Anthony's, NOLA

You're having a discussion with a friend about abortion or same-sex marriage or some other controversial topic. You note that the behavior under discussion is a sin. And your friend declares with great self-righteousness, “You hypocrite, remove the wooden beam from your eye first!” Now you're wondering if you're guilty of violating Jesus' command to stop judging. What does Jesus mean here by “stop judging”? We need to distinguish btw naming a sin and finding a person guilty of sin. Naming a sin is simply what it sounds like. This behavior X is sinful. Lying is sinful. Killing is sinful. Stealing is sinful. We are saying nothing more than “abstractly considered, X is a sin.” No one has been judged guilty. No one has been condemned as a sinner. What Jesus is commanding us to stop doing is finding a particular person guilty of committing a sin. Sally lied. Bob killed. Becky stole. When we do this, we're saying – in essence – I can read the soul of another person and know /hisher intent and the circumstances of his/her behavior. I know his heart; I know her mind. That's not possible. You can only know your own intent and circumstances. This is why we say in the confessional, “I accuse myself of the following sins. . .”
 
To help us stop judging others as sinful, Jesus gives us a warning, “For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you.” That should give you chills if you're prone to finding others guilty of sin. The standard you're using to find others guilty will be the standard used to judge you when the time comes. The smart to do is to stop “soul-reading” and start asking yourself daily, “How do I want to be judged on Judgment Day?”


Follow HancAquam or Subscribe ----->

1 comment:

  1. Hi Father! I remember teaching the Lord's Prayer to some youths in RCIA adapted for C&Y. I asked if they knew the prayer and they rattled it off. So I asked them, "What does that mean?" and we spent the rest of the class going line by line. When we got to the part about forgive us as we forgive others, some light bulbs went off. For me and them as I for the first time realized I was asking God to judge me as I judge others. It was a moment for sure. Thank you for this blog post. Mark

    ReplyDelete