11 April 2010

Coffee Bowl Browsing

More happy consequences from those who bring us gov't run health care. 

Hmmmmm"The eurozone area and wider European Union is now “on the brink” of disintegration unless Germany steps up and provides loans at below-market rates to Greece, George Soros, the hedge fund manager, has warned."  I have no love for the E.U. as a political entity, but the collapse of the euro would devastate the economies of the zone.  Another reason to scrap the whole bloated, over-priced edifice and allow nation states to be. . .ya know. . .sovereign.  Of course, Soros, a leftist billionaire, wants the collapse so he can make the case for the U.N. (or some other unelected body of elites) to grab control of the global economy.

The "Tea Parties Are Really Just Racist Confederates in Disguise" meme is gaining steam in the Old Media.  Only the woefully historically ignorant would buy such nonsense.

Completely flushing what little credibility he has left, whiny atheist biologist, Dick Dawkins, threatens to arrest the Pope when the Holy Father visits the U.K. in September.  Note to the Holy Father:  "Your Holiness, if you need a 300 lbs. Dominican to watch your back--one with years of experience dealing with the mentally unhinged--, I live fewer than two miles down the road from place.  Just let me know."

A run-down of the likely 2012 GOP presidential candidates.  Looks like a very fallow field.

Maureen Dowd, the NYT's resident self-loathing Catholic, sees the Taliban when she surveys her Church.  So, the obvious question is:  Maureen, why are you still a member of this horrible woman-hating institution? Diogenes has an intriguing proposal for Dowd. . .one I doubt very much that she will entertain.

The Anchoress spanks the "Women are Oppressed in the Catholic Church" meme and, in the process, exposes the self-loathing sexism of our Cultural Betters.  

Speaking of privileged feminists. . .one of my fav TV actors has died:  Dixie Carter.  When I was Big Liberal back in the 80's, her character on Designing Women, Julia Sugarbaker, was probably one of my top ten lefty heroes.

A new low in anti-average American politics:  an organized effort to crash Tea Party protests with racist signs.  Watch the MSM lap this up. 

Wow. . .and Catholics complain that our bishops can be wimpy when faced with difficult decisions.

Doing what the MSM can't be bothered to do:  Fr. Z. does a little fair and balanced reporting on clerical sexual abuse. . .among non-Catholic clergy.

John Allen throws a small cup of cold water on the smoldering hopes of those who see Archbishop Jose Gomez's appt. to replace Crdl. Mahony as a conservative revolution in the making. Generally speaking, BXVI is not appointing conservatives to the American episcopate.  Rather, he is appointing pastorally astute, sensibly orthodox men to serve the Church in the U.S. . .which is exactly what we need.

Of course men are happier than women.  Here are about 30 reasons why.  My fav: "Your underwear is only $8.95 for a three-pack."  Heck, if you shop at WalMart you can get a 10-pack for $9.00. 

Ooooooooooo. . .I need one of these to get around Rome's sidewalks when it rains!

Also, check out the updated WISH LIST.  A few new books added for the dissertation.  Grazie!

Follow HancAquam ------------>

3 comments:

  1. maryclare11:39 AM

    Dear Fr.P,
    I have been over to the Times Web site, following your link (whiney atheist). I am utterly amazed at the amount of utterly ignorant,totally biased and bigoted vitriol that the Times has allowed to be published.
    I gave up trying to get to the end of the 800 or so comments.
    I just keep having to remind myself that which Our Lord said
    "Thou art Peter, and on this rock will I build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it"
    There are those who think that by remaining Catholic that we are guilty by association, and that we either condone the abuse or actually indulge in such perfidy ourselves. It is coming down to individual persecution for ones faith...people who know that I am a Catholic cannot wait to comment about this to me. It happened in a meeting at work about something totally unrelated just this very morning. Very unpleasant I can tell you.
    We must all pray and do as you have suggested in your last post (April 11th).
    Love and prayers maryclare :-)
    P.S. How is Scuba Becky? I hope she is getting better...still praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allen's piece is interesting. Unfortunately, a reader left a very unhelpful comment regarding the possible influence that Abp Gomez will have on LA's annual Religious Education Conference.

    "If he turns it into a theocon rosary and benediction love-in, then he's just another restorationist."- Posted by Jim McCrea (not verified) on Apr. 09, 2010.

    I hope Mr. McCrea's opinion is not representative of the Church in the LA Archdiocese. Nevertheless, I agree with you, Father, that the appointment of a "pastorally astute, sensibly orthodox [man]" is what is needed for the faithful there.

    DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have my vote for Pope protector!


    I want one of those umbrellas! and each of my kids wants one too...but only I shall have one..says the Momma a-ha-ha-haaaaa!

    the Episcopal Bishop makes me wanna vomit. how..uh...uh...uh.... uh...uh....spine-less can you be?

    yeah, took me a min to clean up that thought for you Fr.

    ReplyDelete