24 November 2010

The first Thanksgiving Day menu?

Every American knows the proper menu for Thanksgiving Day:  turkey, cranberry sauce, cornbread stuffing, and pumpkin pie.  But did you know what the first Thanksgiving Day menu included?

Foods Included in the Original Thanksgiving Feast

In addition to the wild fowl, pumpkin and squash mentioned above, the following foods were certainly abundant and most likely were included in the “harvest” celebration:
  • Fish
  • Lobsters
  • Eel
  • Mussels
  • Oysters
  • Corn
  • Parsnips
  • Collards
  • Turnips
  • Spinach
  • Onions
  • Dried Beans
  • Dried Blueberries
  • Grapes
  • Nuts
The whole article is worth a read.

Follow HancAquam ------------>

3 comments:

  1. My problem with Thanksgiving is the turkey, which I actively dislike . . . but I do wish you, and all Americans, a happy and blessed Thanksgiving anyway : for which I am, as always, offering prayers today.

    God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we the only country in the world that sets aside a day to give thanks to God? Maybe because we are such a blessed country?
    Today I'm invited over my daughter's for Thanksgiving. But my son-in-law is smokin' their turkey, so I'm baking another one. I think everything smoked taste like ham. I love ham, but on Thanksgiving I want my turkey to taste like turkey.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Is the priory having a special dinner for you Americans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! Finally, my family-recipe oyster stuffing is historically legitimized!

    ReplyDelete