10 April 2010

Apple Cider Vinegar cure-all?

Anyone out there ever tried drinking diluted Apple Cider Vinegar as a tonic?

I tried it years ago and was generally unimpressed by the results.  I recently ran across a "folk remedy" site that has a huge amount of material on ACV and its alleged benefits.  

Always willing to give most anything a go (legal and moral, of course!), I bought a bottle of organic, unfiltered, unpasteurized ACV.

I add about a tablespoon of ACV to my two liter water bottle and drink it all before lunch.  The results?  The most noticeable result for me has been a rather dramatic increase in energy.  I find myself chaffing at sitting inside to read. . .I'm going out of the priory most everyday. . .I'm actually sleeping through most of the night now.  ACV is also supposed to help with excessive sweating by correcting the magnesium imbalance that often causes this problem.  No results on this front just yet.

ACV is also touted as a natural way to prevent infections.  Since I rarely get sick, this benefit might not be all that apparent for me.  We'll see. . .

Anyone else ever tried this?

Follow HancAquam ------------>

8 comments:

  1. reminds me of the Windex cure all in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely enough, I was just thinking about this stuff the other day. I'm originally from rural Alabama, and when I was a child I remember something called "Jogging in a Jug" being marketed in the grocery stores. It was apple cider vinegar diluted in fruit juice. Maybe it's a Southern thing?

    Now, here in Northern Virginia, outside D.C., the nearest thing is kambucha tea. Frightening stuff in my opinion. It purports the same results as ACV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Years ago it was the fad at the Seminary I attended. The mixture also included honey which was supposed to add a boost to the ACV mix on a number of fronts. I don't recall any particular benefit at the time, however, I was in my early 20's and I didn't need any extra boost. However, now, I may pick it up again to test the waters, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  4. templariidvm3:27 PM

    Supposedly, if you add it to horse feed it keeps the mosquitoes off of the horses - sounds like it can do ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a son who suffers from excessive sweating but before I rush out and purchase some ACV I will wait for your report.

    Keep us informed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I've tried it. Long ago, I happened by a lot of information from a solid rather than 'popular' source. Intrigued, I tried it. Great results. Among other benefits, I quit getting sick, simple as that. I was a good gauge in my case because sore throats/complications plagued me a couple of times and a couple of months out of every year. No coincindence there; rather, a direct cause and effect. I rely on it.

    Background. My overall health is very good, no meds, no issues outside the realm of aging :) , etc. I don't know what constitutes a good or a bad 'candidate' for this tonic so I'm not necessarily recommending it as much as I am just throwing out my experience for consideration. Doctors and nurses pretty much raise their eyebrows about it. Moderation would seem to be sensible and a key to success, as with any food or nutrient.

    Br. Gabriel Thomas mentioned honey. Among the benefits - stand-alone or in the tonic - honey, just a spoon, is both relaxing and energizing. Good for both the day's end and the day's beginning. Personal experience, not science talking here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohio Annie9:13 AM

    It is part of the recipe for switchell, the original energy drink before soda and that kind of stuff. Switchell had vinegar and molasses. I have made some. It has a ferocious flavor but is strangely refreshing. Notice how Jesus was given vinegar to drink. They were not being mean, vinegar in water was a refreshing beverage, much as we think lemon in water is. We tend to think of acidic things as more refreshing than sweet things.

    As for the medicinal value, it has a good amount of potassium. I don't think much magnesium is in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie, the energy boost benefits are apparent. I take mine with molasses rather than honey. Raw honey is hard to come by NOLA.

      Delete