07 December 2009

Fr. Philip the Preacher VS. Fr. Philip the Philosopher

Me mumbling to myself about writing this thesis:

"It's like training a pony for the circus and then sticking him in petting zoo."*


It'll be over soon. . .well, this part will be over soon anyway.

Keep praying, please!

*Just so we're clear. . .I mean here that my wild & crazy training in literary studies did not prepare me for the tame & meticulous work of philosophy.


  1. All I ever learned in philosophy was how to write lots, and lots of pages about "nothing."

  2. No, Father, it's like training a bucking bronco to be a race horse. Finish the race!

  3. Galatians 6:9
    9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up

    Go for it!

  4. Will, MUCH better analogy than mine.

    Fragrance, thanks, I needed that! Now, convince me that doing philosophy is doing good...


  5. Flambeaux9:31 PM


    Doing academic philosophy (as opposed to real philosophy) isn't doing good. But it is a morally licit means to a good end -- being permitted to instruct students and to fulfill the duties laid upon you by your legitimate superiors.

    In the words of my mother, "Offer it up."


    And know that we're praying for you. Almost there...