25 October 2009

Insomnia, or On the use of Greek pastries in the Crimean War

Ugh.

I woke up this morning at 3.00am and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up, got some coffee and fired up Ye Ole Laptop for some browsing.  (Note the time stamps on the posts below).  My hope was that I would get a little sleepy and manage to fall back into dreamland.

No luck. 

Anyway, after Laud/Mass, breakfast, and a turn around the cloister, I got to work.  Lunch, recreation with the brothers, and. . .finally!. . .a little nap.

However, I am still both wired and tired.  So, wired and tired that I completely misread this pic caption at one my new fav blogs, Big Government"Today is also the anniversary of the Charge of the Light Brigade, from the Battle of Balaclava in 1854."

My first thought was, "Uh?  The Brits attacked the Russians with sticky Greek pastries?"

My next thought was, "Oh, maybe the Russians were allergic to pistachios."

Now I'm looking for my travel size bottle of Benadryl. 

6 comments:

  1. I usually get up about 3 am blog & have managed to go back to sleep for an hour or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:41 PM

    You frequently make fun of people concerned with ecology. eco-weirdos I think is / was a term used.

    This is interesting:

    http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/report/

    ReplyDelete
  3. anon., just to be clear: I do not make fun of people who are concerned about ecology...I make fun of people who have turned their concern for the ecology into an anti-humanist religion. It sickens me to go back to the US and see how developers scrape a patch of woods clean to build a strip mall. It happens a lot in my part of MS. I grew up in the woods and appreciate nature. Just not a Nature Idolator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are famous!
    http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2009/oct/09102607.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the 3 am shift while on a 30-day retreat -- and when my kids were infants. Otherwise it's an hour I rarely see...hope you are sleeping tonight. If not - here's a quiz to browse! Rocket Science or not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. all right now people..just WHAT is wrong with 3am??? I wanna know.

    geez, you people are just closed-minded moon haters!

    :-P

    ReplyDelete