02 October 2007

Saying the Unsayable, teaching the unteachable

I received word recently that the senior/grad student seminar I had proposed to my department chair has been approved and scheduled for spring semester 2008!

The seminar will be: THEO 5317 Recent and Contemporary Theology: Post/metaphysical theologies.

Basically, we will read, discuss, and critique texts from some of the major movements in theology influenced by the "post/metaphysical" challenge to onto-theology first articulated in the modern period by Nietzsche and Heidegger. I say "first articulated in the modern period" because I think a good argument can be made that this critique has traveled with the "onto" of "theology" since Pseudo-Dionysus & Gregory of Nyssa (i.e., the apophatic theologians of the Patristic period). We will be reading Kant, Nietzsche, Derrida, Lyotard, Tracy, Lindbeck, Milbank, Levinas, Marion, Vattimo, and several others. I promise to post a bibliography when I have it ready.

As you might imagine, this seminar will require some strenuous prep for the Ole' Prof here, so please feel free to browse the Buy Philosophy & Theology for Fr. Philip Wish List and see if the Spirit moves you to purchase a text that will help me help my students understand and undermine the destructive elements of post/metaphysical theology.

I've said before that teaching this stuff is like being the Professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts at Hogwarts! So, pray for me as well...


  1. David T.11:12 PM

    Drat; sounds fun. At least those of us who've "moved on" can get a bibliography. Congratulations and good luck, Father.

  2. "Theology as if Reality Didn't Matter."


    If I haven't mentioned this before, there's a GREAT short paperback out there by Fr. Rutler, entitled "Christ and Reason" (Christendom Press/Front Royal, VA.) which may be useful for your course (or for you).

    I shall send a TIF of a fun item to my daughter for your perusal.

  3. Dad29,

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    David T.,

    You could always commute...

  4. Professor DADA Powell. It has a certain ring to it.

  5. Congratulations! You'll have to practice extreme nose-holding for some of these!